The size boundaries for Reference Collection materials are:
- up to 25 cm high
- up to 23 cm wide
- Quarto (for instructions on oversize call numbers, see Past and Current Practices for Oversize LC Call Numbers)
- between 25 and 38 cm high
- over 23 and up to 27 cm wide
- over 38 cm high
- over 28 cm wide
The following guidelines are used when marking volumes in the Reference Collection:
- Mark on verso of title page when there is one.
- Mark on back cover, lower right hand corner, when there is no title page, unless cover is too dark.
- Mark on last page, lower right hand corner, when 1 or 2 don't apply. The lower left hand corner is the alternate location when the lower right hand corner is unusable.
The Reference Collection uses the Library of Congress classification scheme. (LC) is used under the call numbers except in classes D, PA-PZ, Q.
Printing Press Room
For items to be shelved in the Printing Press room, use the call number prefix "Printing Press" [‡k Printing Press] preceeding the call number in the holdings record. Also, use "Printing Press" preceeding the call number in the local note.