The Peter E. Palmquist Women in Photography International Archive includes approximately 2400 publications by or about women photographers. Included are biographies, technical writings, exhibtion catalogs and fine art publications.
The size boundaries are:
- up to 27 cm. high (and gaylords slightly over 25 cm. high)
- up to 25 cm. wide
- between 26 and 37 cm. high
- over 23 and up to 31 cm. wide
- over 37 cm. high
- over 31 cm. wide
The following guidelines are used when marking volumes in WIPA:
- Mark on the upper right-hand corner of the Yale bookplate.
- Mark on back cover, lower right
hand corner, when there is no Yale bookplate, unless cover is too dark
- Mark on last page, lower right
hand corner, when 1 or 2 don't apply. The lower left hand corner is
the alternate location when the lower right hand corner is unusable.
Class as a name collection and use a sequential numbering scheme
||‡b beingen ‡h WIPA ‡i
||‡b beingen ‡h WIPA ‡i
Special notes, subjects and tracings
- Use instruction sheets H 1255 Artistic Photography and H 1935 Pictorial Works from the Subject Cataloging Manual - Subject Headings as a guide for providing subject access.
- Provide a local note, listing items of bibliogrhical significance (limited edition statement, dust-jacket, provenance, etc.)
- Provide appropriate genre headings
- Make a local name tracing for Palmquist for ownership.
- Trace all women photographers associated with the work. Provide a quoted note (i.e. "Photos by Jan Groover"--T.p. verso), or make a general note (i.e. Contains the photography of Jan Groover)
- When cataloging articles from serials use rules from 13.5 of AACR2 ("In" analytics) in conjunction with MARC field 773 (Host entry item).
- When cataloging an individual serial issue as a monograph, trace the serial title in MARC field 830.
- If Beinecke owns the serial for which an individual article/issue has been cataloged use the following procedures for creating the MFHD and linking the two records:
- Create new holdings from the serial record. Create the 852 using the WIPA classification system with the addition of a subfield x "DO NOT ADD TO THIS CALL NUMBER"
- Create the 866 using standard conventions for serials.
- Create an item record, changing the item type to "no circ."
- Save the item record.
- Link the item record to the bibliographic record for the article/issue.
Return to top